Saturday, August 9, 2008

I Had A Dream

Andrew, my dad, and I watched the Olympic Opening Ceremonies last night on NBC (Did anyone else see that "The Office" commercial when Jim invents the new Olympic sport of slap face? Hilarious). We were thoroughly impressed with the expected awe surrounding the ceremonies, but one of my favorite parts of the whole thing was the torch bearer (with some name that I would never be able to remember) running around the stadium, suspended in the air. That was amazing, not to mention extremely creative. Good job crazy, communist China. Priceless moments included U.S. flagbearer Lopez Lomong leading the team around the track (if you don't know about his miraculous story, go check it out... it really is worth it), and the little Chinese earthquake survivor/hero getting to walk next to the 7 ft Yao Ming at the front of the Chinese team. Andrew's favorite part of last night was the one athlete from a country smaller than humble 'ol Denton who had a cartoon-like unibrow. Seriously, there was no skin to be had above the bridge of this guy's nose. I would say that he is from some Russian-like, European country, but that would be stereotypical of me. Oh, I watched a bit of handball when I woke up this morning. What the hell kind of game is that? That game is probably what would result from a soccer, hockey, basketball, ultimate frisbee foursome.

I guess I have been thinking about this whole I'm-moving-in-nine-days thing a lot with the official beginning of serious packing. Dream-me awoke to a situation that involved me wandering around the supposed Littlefield Dormitory looking for Room 210. I had two very heavy boxes, but kept descending down what seemed to be a never-ending flight of stairs in pursuit of my new home. As Dreamworld would have it no other way, my room was at the very bottom of this Stairway to Hell, but as I jiggled my key and opened the door, the room that I found inside was spectacular. Carpet, a reasonably-sized closet, and a great view of the lovely Tower out of an old school rotate-the-handle-to-open-me window. The plan for the actual day of move-in is to have my dad, Andrew, and Stacy help me out since it might take me forever to do it all alone. However, in the dream, the fam did not arrive until after I had not only moved everything to the room, but also after I unpacked and set it all up. Typical. Andrew walked in and the first thing he said was, "It sucks," and he left. Suddenly, a chapter skip. I was sitting on my bed and decided that I REALLY had to pee. Luckily, there were signs directing me to the restroom/shower area, so I played the freshman role and followed them without thought. Next thing I knew I was cutting clear across a large, empty parking lot headed towards a building with the restroom stick figures plastered all over it.

When I woke up, I felt compelled to analyze my own dream (never a good idea). This is what I concluded:
  1. The UT campus is huge. While finding my room will not be a challenge because my dorm really is pretty tiny, subconsciously I am slightly skeptical of my abilities to navigate the 40 Acres the first couple of days.
  2. My family is going to time their arrival with when I get out from some LHB picnic so that they can help me unload my car. Hope they can make it...
  3. I know that my room will not have carpet, but I honestly am wondering how comfortable and home-y I can make the place seem. I just don't want to feel like I'm permanently staying in a hotel from August to May.
  4. I want my brother's approval on where I will be living. His opinion means a lot to me and I will miss him more than he probably knows.
  5. Community baths are gonna SUCK.

Submitted my first tuition payment today. I am officially in.

Nine days. At this time in two weeks I will no longer sleep in this house. At this time in two weeks Austin will be home. At this time in two weeks my Longhorn experience will have begun. In nine days... everything changes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So it's official. You are leaving me for the intellectual world of Austin. You have wierd dreams though and it sounds like that you might be anxious about the days to come. Then again, I'm not a dream interpreter, I know nothing.

I will try and comment on your blogs in the coming days. I'm going to have to comment on them because you will probably be too busy to answer my calls. Love ya!