Thursday, September 25, 2008

My heart is slowly breaking.

Many of you probably didn't know this because you don't care, but yesterday was the Rangers' last home game for the 2008 season. We won 14-4 in a very fitting, offensively strong showing, but also had a fantastic performance by rookie Matt Harrison. He is one of many reasons to be excited for the upcoming seasons; however, keep in mind that it may not be next season quite yet. The team still has some polishing to do like settling on one solid catcher and narrowing down the very talented outfield, tasks which I'm sure John Hart, Nolan Ryan, Jon Daniels, and Ron Washington have already started working on. Which, by the way, what in the world are we going to do with Hank Blalock?! I hate trading him off, but we don't have a spot for him and he is definitely great trading material in trying to find reliable starting pitching. Decisions decisions decisions. 2009 will be better... hopefully more like the Texas Rangers we all witnessed and loved in June and July.

I'm going to miss baseball. I already am. Although, I guess I've had an easy let down. Little by little the Rangers are slowly vanishing from my life this season. I was pretty hardcore for a while, but then I had to leave for Austin where I only get the game if they show it on FSN and decide to go with the Dallas feed instead of the Houston feed. Then I had Hell Week for LHB, where I didn't do anything except bond with my trumpet. Next came some off time, so I could watch games here and there, but it got to where I didn't want to because they had gotten so bad. Yesterday was the last time we'll see The Ballpark in 2008 (and you guys have no idea how freaking badly I wanted to be there). And Sunday afternoon is the final game of the season, that thankfully will be shown on FSN. I guess I gotta find some other team to care about in October... again.
(subnote: Mr. Huston Street did not pitch yesterday. I haven't seen him throw at all this season... how very very sad.)


And now for a few other random things floating through my brain...

I took an Astronomy test on Monday. Wanna know how it went? Let's see... do you know how long a day in Alaska is in comparison to a day in Texas? Yeah, neither did I (and we NEVER learned that. I pay attention and take great notes in that class. It's nowhere to be found).

Apparently an elephant was electrocuted to death at Coney Island as entertainment way back in the day. We watched it in my AMS class.

Tofu=GROSS. I thought I'd give it a shot since the Kinsolving cafeteria has it all the time. Don't ever do that. It tastes like plastic and I couldn't even find it in myself to swallow. ...that's what she said (I'm sorry, I'm sorry.. I typed it and had to complete what half of you guys are undoubtedly thinking).

Season 5 of "The Office" premeires tonight!!! :D I have missed the Jim-Dwight antics.

So I went to a bible study last night with a friend. Not gonna lie, I was kind of skeptical on if I would find a place that I could experience some spiritual guidance, but I left that lecture hall so insanely refreshed I just felt like passing out on the South Mall. I've felt like something has been missing since I've moved down here, but I kinda just chalked it up to not having family around and being in a place that I don't know every nook and cranie nearly as well as I knew Denton's. After going to the hour and half rejuvenation period last night, I immediately knew that I had found a place that I can continue to attend and grow closer to God. One of the best parts was when current students got up and gave personal testimonies about how they are giving complete control to the Lord, acknowledging that He has a plan, and sharing the amazing ways that He is working in their lives. This really struck me because it wasn't an adult pastor or even an upper-20s youth leader looking back at their college years... it was a student just like me, experiencing UT right now, still professing this kind of faith, and committing to whatever God has in store for them. The hall was so alive with God's presence that I found myself reaching up to wipe away a small tear during the praise songs. It was so inspirational, which is something I have been missing for a very long time. I cannot wait until next week.

Going home next weekend. It's the only weekend I have off pretty much the entire first semester and I want to see my dog. And OF COURSE my family :) My full size bed, bigger than 11'5" x 17'9" single room, and carpeted floor are calling my name.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to read about your college exploits:) but more than anything I was truly happy to read about a new found relationship with God. That is absolutely wonderful. Have fun seeing your family, I love you.
Mom