Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Guess what I just wasted an hour doing?

Yep. Could have read about how "landscape in America" is not just a reference to mountains, bison, and city skylines. I'm not even sure why I did this. It started with me simply wanting a good picture of Mr. Street for the background on my laptop. Then it sort of evolved into, "Well, there are too many good ones, so I'll just cheat and use a few". Realization: "Oh wait, I don't have any kind of program that merges pictures. [googliiiiiiiing] Solved." And would ya look at that? 1 hour and 13 minutes later and I have a new desktop collage assured to bring smile upon every face that sees it.

Alright... onward to real work. In 12 hours I will be sitting in my AMS class (which, by the way, I'm not sure what I should call that. AMS class? Some people might not know what that means.. and I don't want to deter them from reading these oh-so-exciting insights into my brain. Alright, then draw it out: American Studies class. Then I'm asked what that is. Oh, it's my writing component. But the title of the actual course also sounds pretty nifty: American Places of Leisure. Right? But that takes too long to both say and write. Ugh... anyway, there you have my internal struggle). I'm expected to have all 16 pages of "Axioms for Reading the Cultural Landscape of America" by 8 tomorrow morning. Early classes can suck it.

Yesterday in my US Hist class, we talked in great lengths about the Mona Lisa and why she smiles, if she is actually smiling, what she is physically hiding behind her, her posture, etc. Many took the intelligent approach and said that she is arrogant because she knows something that we don't. Others believed she is not smiling at all, but more grimacing because she really didn't want to sit that long to be painted (stupid). Then one of our 300+ class's finest raised her orange little hand:

probable sorority girl: "Well, maybe her teeth are just really ugly and she didn't want to show them. I mean, when I had braces I never smiled."
class: "/awkward silence/ ha... ha. yeeeeeah.."

Oh the things you learn to not say at UT.


Done by 11 tomorrow. Can't argue with that.

No comments: