Thursday, November 20, 2008

Basking in the Shade

Got me thinking:
Mark 4:31-32: "[The kingdom of God] is like a mustard seed, which is the smallest seed you plant in the ground. Yet when planted, it grows and becomes the largest of all garden plants, with such big branches that the birds of the air can perch in its shade."
Hebrews 6:1: "Therefore let us leave the elementary teaching about Christ and go on to maturity, not laying against the foundation of repentance of acts that lead to death, and of the faith of God..."
1 Corinthians 14:36-38: " Did the word of God originate with you? Or are you the only people it has reached? If anybody thinks he is a prophet or spiritually gifted, let him acknowledge that what I am writing to you is the Lord's command. If he ingores this, he himself will be ignored."
Philippians 1:25-26: "Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me."
Obviously up to interpretation, but this is what I got: Mature in faith from the mustard seed foundation from which you were given. Spread the good news and what Christ is doing in your life and be a disciple for God. You are not meant to be a dead end for His word, but rather a catalyst in spreading the good news that we do have an unconditional, loving God. Be a tree that people can bask in the glory of the Lord, reaching far and providing shade to those in search of it. The kingdom is INEVITABLE, so stop planning for the church in the future and help EXPAND the church in the now.

While discussing the American Revolution my HIS315K class last week and while I was zoning in and out of the lecture, I noticed something amusing. My professor was showing us the portrait on the left of Washington and went off on some random tangent (not uncommon), but while he was explaining it, this is what I saw...

I think what made it funnier is that it brought this image to my mind from one of my favorite movies, Airplane!...


I literally almost laughed out loud :)

Camille and I are going to take a look at a possible apartment for next year in a couple hours. Should be fun!!

And now to get back to writing about social narratives, norms, and competing moral orders in movies. I'm halfway done and it's due at 2 PM tomorrow. I've really got to get a hold of this procrastination issue.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"For the Lord gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding."
Proverbs 2:6 NIV

Thank you, Rebecca. You are becoming wise. Good job!